Some landowners in Texas cannot access their landlocked property from a public road without crossing over private property owned by someone else. There is no automatic right of access, but there are some options a landowner can consider, including:

  • Get an express easement from the neighbor.
  • Determine if there’s an “easement by necessity.”
  • Determine if there’s a prescriptive easement.
  • Determine if there’s an easement by estoppel. 
  • Seek a statutory easement from the commissioners’ court.

Find out what each of these options mean in How Can I Access My Own Landlocked Property? in Texas REALTOR® magazine.