A U.S. Census Bureau report released in August detailing household wealth in 2015 shows 37% of households did not own a home. The Census Bureau defines a:
- Household as a group of people occupying a housing unit together
- Net worth/wealth as the value of assets owned minus liabilities/debts owed
- Median household net worth as the dollar amount that divides households into two equal groups—one having net worth less than that amount and the other having net worth above that amount.
A few other stats from the report include:
- Median home equity was $95,800 among households with equity, while the median value of assets at financial institutions was $4,600.
- Home equity accounted for the largest portion of net worth in 2015 and 2014 despite being the third most commonly held asset.