You must have an active real estate license to earn money for referrals.

Fact. Per TREC rules, only active license holders may earn money for referrals. If you made the referral while your license was active, then you may collect the money while your license is inactive or expired. Note that TREC rules require you to receive payment of your referral fee through your sponsoring broker if you are a sales agent.