Texas REALTOR® Delegate Program
What is it?
The Texas REALTOR® Delegate Program is an easy and fun way to make a lasting impact on the real estate industry and private-property rights—from your precinct all the way to the state level.
Delegates play an important role in developing your party’s platform. For Texas REALTOR® delegates, that means ensuring real estate is a priority for the state’s Democratic and Republican parties.
Why it matters
At every level of the convention process, delegates come in contact with elected officials and candidates. This is an excellent opportunity to promote real estate issues, showcase Texas REALTOR® grassroots involvement in the political process, and establish relationships with public officials.
What you’re in for
Texas REALTOR® delegates present the American Dream Resolution, a brief document that highlights the importance of private-property rights and encourages the state parties to eliminate unnecessary barriers to homeownership.
We’d love you to make it all the way to the state convention, but you certainly don’t have to make it that far to be a success. At the very least, you’re presenting the American Dream Resolution and helping these important principles become part of your party’s platform.
Becoming a delegate
Follow these steps to become a Texas REALTOR® delegate:
1. Attend precinct and county/senatorial conventions
The purpose of county and senatorial conventions is to elect delegates to the state convention and to adopt resolutions that will be used to formulate the parties' platforms.
- Precinct, County/Senatorial conventions: dates/locations vary by precinct
- Precinct, County/Senatorial conventions: March 19, 2016. Register here.
- Bring proof you voted in your party’s primary (driver license or voter registration card)
- Introduce yourself to the precinct chairman
- Make clear your desire to be elected as a delegate (or alternate)
2. Present the American Dream Resolution
Texas REALTOR® delegates present the American Dream Resolution, which highlights the importance of private-property rights in Texas and encourages both major political parties to adopt positions that limit or erase barriers to homeownership.
By adopting the resolution, each party will be officially expressing their support for the real estate.
Download of PDF of the American Dream Resolution:
Tips for presenting the American Dream Resolution:
- Inform the meeting chairman that you would like to present a resolution.
- Bring at least three copies with you, as the chairman will ask for a few copies for party records.
- Be able to briefly explain the purpose of the resolution. “The American Dream Resolution highlights the importance of private-property rights in Texas and encourages both major political parties to adopt positions limiting barriers to homeownership.”
3. Get elected to state convention, hang with legislators
If you get elected as a delegate to the state convention, congratulations and thank you!
- 2016 Texas Republican Convention, May 12-14 in Dallas
- 2016 Texas Democratic Convention, June 16-18 in San Antonio
The Texas Association of REALTORS® will host receptions for elected officials and Texas REALTOR® delegates at both parties’ conventions.