MUD and CCN notices

Translate this page

A seller of real estate in Texas may be required to provide to a buyer one or more notices regarding the property in question. Failure to provide the proper notice may result in liability for the seller of the real estate and/or the real estate licensee handling the transaction.

MUD notice information

If a property is located within a Municipal Utility District (MUD), the seller is required by the Texas Water Code to provide to a buyer prior to the buyer's entering into a sales contract a notice regarding the MUD in which the property is located. The notice provides information regarding the tax rate, bonded indebtedness, and standby fee, if any, of the MUD.

A seller will typically know if a MUD is providing service to a property because the MUD assessment will be listed on the tax bill that the county sends to the property owner. The property seller will frequently not, however, have access to the MUD notice required to be given to the buyer and may require the assistance of a real estate licensee to obtain the proper notice. One method you may use to obtain the proper notice is to contact an agent for the MUD and request a copy of the most current notice. The name, address, and phone number of all MUDs in Texas are available through the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality's website.

After entering the website, you may look up any MUD by going to the first search field entitled "Search by Water District Name or Number." Type in the name of the MUD for which you are seeking information and press enter. The website will provide information regarding that MUD, including contact information for the MUD's agent. You may then contact the MUD's agent to obtain a copy of the current notice form.

Section 49.455(b)(9) of the Water Code requires that all MUDs file the particular form of Notice to Purchasers that the seller must furnish to a buyer in the property records of the county in which the MUD is located with all information completed.

Certificated service area information

When a retail water or wastewater utility obtains a certificate of convenience and necessity (CCN) from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), it secures the exclusive right to supply water or sewer service to a specified area. This type of entity is referred to as a certificated service area.

Background and notice required
In some cases, individuals purchase lots for residential or commercial purposes without realizing that the extension of water or sewer services may require additional expense on the individual's part, and that there might be a delay in the utility's ability to provide the services. This is problematic in areas served by private utilities, nonprofit water supply and sewer service corporations, and special utility districts, which typically have service areas outside a municipality's jurisdiction.

Except in connection with certain specified transactions and interests (such as mortgages, leases, and sales of governmental properties, among others), House Bill 2033 (effective Sept. 1, 2001) requires sellers of property located outside a municipality's jurisdiction to provide a statutory notice to a purchaser of unimproved real property that extension of water or sewer services may require additional expense on the individual's part and that there might be a delay in the utility's ability to provide the services. The notice must be executed by seller and purchaser either as a separate document or as part of the contract of sale and must be provided to the purchaser before the execution of the contract. In addition, at the closing, the seller and purchaser must execute and acknowledge a separate copy of the notice with current information and subsequently record it in the real property records of the county in which the property is located.

If the seller fails to provide the notice, the purchaser may terminate the contract; however, if the seller provides the notice at or before the closing of the purchase and sale contract and the purchaser elects to close despite the seller's failure to timely provide the notice at the time of contract execution, then the purchaser waives her rights to terminate the contract and recover damages.

Obtaining information regarding certificated service areas
If the seller of an unimproved property that is not currently receiving water or wastewater service does not know the name of the certificated service provider for the property, it is possible to obtain that information from the TCEQ.

If you do not know the name of the certificated service provider, you may look up the names of all the certificated service provider for the county in which the property is located. You may look this up by going to the TCEQ website.

From this site, scroll down to the Request a WUD Report field. Using the pull-down menu, select Utility List Report, and you will be directed to a menu allowing you to search for all the certificated service providers by county. 

In addition, the TCEQ also publishes the Water Utilities Map Viewer, which may help prospective buyers find information related to certificated utility service providers. To identify the water and sewer providers in a particular area, fill out TCEQ-10427. You may fax it or send it by email with the subject line "Attention Mapping Staff." For more details about the map viewer, use the Water Utilities Map Viewer website.

If the above options have failed, email questions or requests for additional information to TCEQ. Please be as specific as possible regarding your question or request. Include the names and numbers for the CCNs in question. Provide your name, address, phone number, and the best way to contact you. You can also call TCEQ's main Water Supply Division line at 512-239-4691.

advertise with us

Legal FAQ

Advice for REALTORS®

Don’t miss out on your commission if a client chooses a new build

Does the Americans with Disabilities Act apply to websites?

Help your seller settle on a realistic list price

What you should know about today’s short—but important—ballot


More advice for REALTORS®

Legal disclaimer

The material provided here is for informational purposes only and is not intended and should not be considered as legal advice for your particular matter. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Applicability of the legal principles discussed in this material may differ substantially in individual situations.

While the Texas Association of REALTORS® has used reasonable efforts in collecting and preparing materials included here, due to the rapidly changing nature of the real estate marketplace and the law, and our reliance on information provided by outside sources, the Texas Association of REALTORS® makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee of the accuracy or reliability of any information provided here or elsewhere on Any legal or other information found here, on, or at other sites to which we link, should be verified before it is relied upon.