Texas REALTORS® 2018 Winter Meeting | Feb. 9-13 | Austin, Texas

Do you need a license to be a property manager?

Translate this page
Two white front doors on the front porch of a yellow duplex.

03/12/2015 | Author: Editorial Staff

Can an unlicensed person be a property manager?

It depends. A license is required for anyone who controls the acceptance or deposit of rent from a resident of a single-family property if the person has the authority to do any of the following:

  • Use the rent to pay for services related to management of the property
  • Determine where to deposit the rent
  • Sign checks or withdraw money from a trust account.

In addition, only a licensed broker or salesperson may perform leasing activities, such as finding tenants, showing properties for lease, and negotiating leases. However, there are certain activities that do not require a license, including bookkeeping or arranging for repairs.

Get more answers to legal questions on texasrealestate.com.

Categories: Legal
Tags: property management, legal faq

advertise with us

Legal disclaimer

The material provided here is for informational purposes only and is not intended and should not be considered as legal advice for your particular matter. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Applicability of the legal principles discussed in this material may differ substantially in individual situations.

While the Texas Association of REALTORS® has used reasonable efforts in collecting and preparing materials included here, due to the rapidly changing nature of the real estate marketplace and the law, and our reliance on information provided by outside sources, the Texas Association of REALTORS® makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee of the accuracy or reliability of any information provided here or elsewhere on texasrealestate.com. Any legal or other information found here, on texasrealestate.com, or at other sites to which we link, should be verified before it is relied upon.

Advice for REALTORS®

5 ways smart-home tech affects real estate transactions

5 apps that can keep you safe in—or before—a crisis

Is the eviction process different for manufactured homes?

3 places you can find free marketing content


More advice for REALTORS®